Monday, February 3, 2014

Little House On The Prairie

Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Every time I read this book I am amazed at the instructional content. I have recommended reading the whole series to my parents, my husband and my kids because of the wealth of information to be gleaned within the simple story setting.
My family loves to camp and learn everything we can about survival. I drop my husband and sons off in the hills to have adventures building campfires, lean to's, and making spruce tea. Little House on the Prairie teaches survivalism for a family in a very real way. They actually lived that life, and barring being able to go out and shoot all of the game you want for the winter everything in this book is so well described that some semblance of surviving could be had by just referring to the descriptions.
I love the story line and the viewpoint of a small child in those days. I am awed by the courage, sacrifice and ability that the people then had. I want that for my family too - not necessarily the hard times but the stamina and guts to do what is needed in any circumstance.
My 14 year old son just got through reading this book too. We are going to be discussing it soon but already he told me he enjoyed the book. I can tell it is not one of his top favorites because he is more into the sci-fi scene but he read it and has brought up great points he learned in the reading of it.
I will be reading the rest of this series to my other kids and I know we will enjoy every last chapter:)



View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment