Sunday, February 12, 2012

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Jonathan Livingston SeagullJonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Jonathan is continually learning and seeking to be better than he is. I identified with that and can see how it will take me not being afraid of what the rest of the world will think of me as I follow the path that I think is right. The flying lessons could equate to the lessons I am learning about how to best raise children, write music, and improve my love and patience for others. It could also be more literal. It could mean physical things I am learning like strategies in planting a garden or what abuse my body is really up to taking from exercise and physical training. Whatever I decide to spend my time and energies on, I should give it all of my attention, do my best, and see how far I can improve.

The part of the book that influenced my decision on making this a 3 star read is the reference to figuring things out over many lives. If the author is talking about reincarnation then I heavily disagree. We are here on the earth with one shot. I believe in the plan of salvation and that our loving Heavenly Father knows us for who we are. He will give us all equal opportunity to learn about his gospel whether it be in this life or the afterlife to come, but that is it. It would give too much leeway for me to think, "Well, I'm not doing so good in this life, I might as well just give up and try harder next go round." No. That is not what I believe and know. Who I am becoming is for the here and now, not to be spread out over many lives. I do believe however that we will continue to progress after we die in the spiritual realm. What we learn here on earth is the only thing we will take with us. I think it is probable that we could choose to be the seagulls who do nothing with their lives and it could take much longer to progress, or perhaps we won't be given the chance to progress in the next life if we don't do anything with what we have been given now. That reminds me of the parable of the talents. We can choose to bury our talents or to use them and multiply them.

This was a book worth reading, but I have read better.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment